I win!


Just a quick update on drinkin' around town. West have a new beer called Heidi. Dedicated to the boss's dog, it's a murky brown beer that tastes much nicer than it looks. I like the floral pilsenery aroma the most of all; the body is caramelly but a little thin with a slightly incongruous bitterness and acidity on the finish. It's described as "Heidi Ale" but I'm not sure if that means it's top-fermented. I have been told that they're very busy at the moment, brewing every day, so maybe this was devised to be ready for sale quickly, skipping the lagering phase.

Blackfriars are now stocking Stone IPA, Ruination and Arrogant Bastard Ale. I had the Stone IPA and it's not so much grassy as vegetal, with asparagus and green beans alongside the massive hop attack. It took me an hour to drink it.

The best news is that the Victoria Bar appears to be getting its name back! I noticed a couple of days ago that the bar had lost the "Scotch Corner" sign that the owners put up on the fascia after removing the beautiful old Victoria Bar sign about a year ago.

I went in at the time and told the slightly bemused bar staff that I'd be back when the pub got its proper name back. Today what do I see but a sandwich board outside reading "Victoria Bar" and the bar snacks menu. It wasn't open though so I couldn't go in. I'll pop in soon to check out the facts.

Comments

Popular Posts