The grass is always greener, or why we see enthusiastic reviews of crappy beers

I noticed a German blog with a gushing post about Newcastle Brown Ale. See the picture on the right for a rough translation.

I suppose that wherever you live, the foreign stuff is always slightly more exotic and interesting. I've certainly spent enough time and money myself in the past, trying every variety of mediocre beer from all over the world the shops had to offer.

I just find it amusing because within a few days I also saw its opposite number, an equally embarrassing UK post about a German beer —Roger praising Veltins Pilsener to the skies. (Roger, Tim and Ben apparently all got the same press release).

I wouldn't cross the street for either of these beers, but then I'm picky.

Comments

  1. Living in Stockport, I have seen Veltins appearing on the bar of a number of local Robinson's pubs. I've had the odd can, but never tried it on draught. But we were having this conversation in the pub the other night - surely it suffers from its name not sounding all that German. In practice, wouldn't Warsteiner or Kaltenberg sell better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose they could rename it Meschede-Grevensteiner Krugmeisterbräu for the UK market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You see a lot of Newky Brown over here, especially in the bars that have lots of American craft beer and then a total absence of a clue when it comes to foreign beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in Hamburg last weekend staying in a hostel and was overcome with shock when a lad who can only be described as the German (and thus far more polite and less menacing) equivalent of a chav came in to the foyer with 24 330ml cans of Dog for him and his mates, whilst I was left to drink the local Pish "Astra" lager...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The real irony is the so called professionals eating from the hands of the big breweries, not the humble bloggers, who aren't fit to polish their shoes. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in a pub recently where I eavesdropped on a pompous bloke telling his wife "actually, because it's German the V is pronounced as F, so it's 'Felchings'".

    ReplyDelete
  7. roger has for some time been the champion of the bland beer.cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. After having a few nights out on Felchings, sorry, Veltins, I can't say I'm a fan. But that's marketing for ya... Meh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I've been in the Sauerland all the locals thought it was great. They don't have much of a clue about beer there — it's where Warsteiner comes from, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In all fairness, that German article talks about how legendary, iconic, etc. NB is. It doesn't actually say it tastes any good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts