Tuesday, 6 October 2009

Beck-Bräu

One of my new favourite breweries is Beck-Bräu Trabelsdorf. I first came across them at the Great British Beer Festival where their Lisberger Lager was on draft, and very nice it was too. Unfortunately I don't have any more details; by the time I tried it I was at the stage of making, ahem, abbreviated tasting notes, i.e. marking them either as GOOD or SHITE.

Last week I got the chance to try Feinherbes Pils too: it has a big, sugary, malty aroma, yet is almost harshly bitter on the palate with a dry finish. Oddly, there is little hop aroma, but it's really very bitter indeed. It's the kind of beer you just want to keep drinking.

The dunkles Jahrhundertbier I had a day or so later from the Magical German Beer Fridge in the Allison Arms wasn't quite as good, being a bit cardboardy and lacking in body. Pity.

They seem to be pretty on the ball. I wouldn't mind trying their strong Rauch-Bock "Affumicator", either. I have put them on my list of places to visit next time I have the good fortune to visit Franconia.

If more German breweries were like this, beer sales there might not be plummeting the way they are.

3 comments:

  1. It makes the job of selling beer easier when the beer is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the pleasure of trying the Affumicator in Amsterdam last month. Really nice! I'd love to get down there and try the rest of their beers. You lucky sod :) I must see if I can find bottles of their stuff up here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll second Barry's endorsement of Affumicator. It's a great beer. Full of smoky goodness.

    ReplyDelete