The Magical German Beer Fridge

One of my favourite places to go for a beer on a hot day is the Allison Arms on Glasgow's south side. It's a pretty basic bar with a bogus-Tudor exterior and inside it's full of men shouting at each other over the noise of the blaring TV, but you can usually find a quiet corner.

There's generally one real ale on but we rarely drink that. Instead we take advantage of this pub's unique feature: the Magical German Beer Fridge. This is a cooler, on the customers' side of the bar, which is packed full with a seletion of chilled bottles of some of the most recherché German beers you've ever seen. They are mostly from Franconia, and even in Germany they are rarely seen outside a radius of about 20km from their home village. And they all taste absolutely fantastic.

This is the one I had: Weissenohe Altfränkisch Klosterbier. Sadly I still had a cold so I didn't get all of the flavour, but it's splendidly full-bodied with a touch of butter. My friend had the sweetish Keesman Herren-Pils from Bamberg which I think I liked better than he did.


View Larger Map

Comments

Popular Posts